Pages

Mortgage meltdown

That's got a snazzy ring to it, doesn't it? So in my intermediate macroeconomics course this semester I face a familiar dilemma. The financial market crisis cries out for discussion and fits neatly, of course, into the half of the course devoted to the business cycle and monetary policy. But my textbook (DeLong - Olney), like most others, starts with growth theory and the economy under full employment. So if I follow the textbook structure I miss a great opportunity while frustrating my students. So what to do? I guess I spend the first week or so on the mortgage meltdown and somehow segue into long-run analysis. Or maybe start in the middle of the book? Or abandon all hope of following the structure of the book?

To start, maybe I'll begin collecting useful background information on the mortgage meltdown. Starting with

Stephen Cecchetti's FAQs on Fed actions during the crisis
Nouriel Roubini's analysis of the crisis through the prism of risk versus Knightian uncertainty
Charles Wyplosz's observations

0 comments:

Post a Comment