Pages

More sports

The New Yorker on golfer Bubba Watson:

His father, a onetime Green Beret who used to play golf but rarely made it into the eighties, is the only golf coach that Bubba has ever had. "... He says I quit listening to him about age nine. You know how parents get sometimes." His father told him to hit the ball as hard as he could, adding, "We'll figure out the rest after that." When a journalist asks Bubba how difficult it is for him to forgo his passion for his driver and, in order to play it smart, wimp down to "6-irons off par-4 tees," Bubba recalls the second-round fourteenth - "358 straight downwind." He said to Teddy Scott, his caddie, "I think I should hit the driver - I can get there." Handing Bubba his 6-iron, the caddie said, "I know you can get there, but this is what we're hitting."

"Bubba Watson: He's got a little baby, so he's got to eat, too. [Laughter] It's hard because it's more fun for me to hit the driver. When I'm home, that's all I hit no matter if the hole is long, short, it doesn't matter, that's all I'm hitting off tees. You look, not like a man when you're at your home course hitting iron off the tee."

When I golf I tee off with a 3-iron every time, manliness be damned. My driver stays in the bag where it won't cause any trouble. But every time I look back I see it's fat head peering out, and I can hear it baiting me - "play me, play me" it says...

0 comments:

Post a Comment